Prior to the start of a new season it is appropriate to check that your trainer’s first aid game kit is fully stocked with all that might be required.
The list below is a guide to the contents of a well stocked footy kit.
- Disposable rubber gloves (size to suit)
- Antiseptic swabs/fluid (ie. Betadine/chlorohexidine)
- Saline ampoules (wash wounds/eyes)
- Gauze swabs (sterile)
- Wound dressings: Fabric dressing strip, Bandaids, Sterile wound dressing (i.e. Primapore or Cutiplast)
- Coban non adhesive tape 50 and 75 ml to secure dressing.
- Steristrips (small wound closers)
- Scissors (stainless steel 12.5 cm)
- Disposable razors
- Compression bandages (i.e. Hartmann or similar 50 and 75 ml)
- Eye pads
- Orthopaedic foam (Leukofoam)
- Triangular bandage (sling)
- Plastic bags for ice
- Zinc Oxide Rigid tape:
- 50/38ml – ankles, knees ,elbows
- 25/12ml - fingers/feet
- Stretch adhesive tape:
- 50/75ml - shoulders/knees/elbows
- 25ml - fingers
- Foam underwrap
- Adhesive spray
- Hypafix or similar (porous adhesive tape good for sensitive skin plus helps adhesion of rigid tape)
- Tape cutting scissors
All of these products are available at any sports tape suppliers. Your club will probably have an existing supplier they currently obtain their tape and other first aid products from.
Good luck for the season.