Umpire visits can help contribute to umpiring development events. Whether it be assisting up and coming umpires in mentoring roles or visiting to a local umpiring groupís training night or life members dinner the umpire appearances program has been successful in adding to events over a number of years.
The AFL are again looking to provide opportunities for umpiring groups, schools and others with the opportunity to have an AFL Umpire make an appearance in conjunction with an event that will contribute to the development of umpires.
The process for requesting an umpire is as follows:
- Complete the Umpire Appearances Request Template
- Email the completed template to the relevant State Umpiring Manager at least 4 weeks prior to the appearance.
- The State Umpiring Manager will ensure the appearance will contribute to the achievement of umpiring development objectives and either approves or deny the request.
- The State Umpiring Manager then forwards approved requests through the AFL for final approval.
- Upon receiving AFL approval the AFL Umpires will be offered the appearance opportunity. Please note that umpires are not required to complete appearances and therefore the AFL is unable to guarantee that the opportunity will be filled.
- If an umpire accepts the appearance opportunity the AFL will inform the State Umpiring Manager who will work with all relevant parties to ensure the appearance is successful.