The aim of the Australia Post AFL Multicultural Community Ambassador Program is to further engage multicultural communities in Australian football through a network of dedicated volunteers. The ambassadors will connect AFL staff with their particular communities and promote AFL activities as a vehicle for engagement and inclusion. The program will also provide community leaders with an official platform to become involved in the introduction and coordination of AFL related programs in their communities as well as opportunities for professional development.
Please have a look at the 2014 Community Ambassador Profiles.
AFL Multicultural community ambassadors will have an opportunity to be engaged in three main categories of our programs: Participation, Engagement & Talent.
- Liaise between the AFL and your community
- Promote AFL Multicultural programs through community festivals as well as print and social media outlets.
- Assist the regional Multicultural Development Officer and Regional Development Manager you are assigned to throughout the season
- Represent the AFL at community events and attend AFL/ Club functions and events
- Assist in delivering cultural awareness sessions
- Assist with the distribution of information to targeted community groups
- Assist with the AFL multicultural events and activities.
- Engage people from your community in AFL Multicultural programs and monitor their progress.
Benefits for Ambassadors:
- A sense of pride and achievement from making a valuable contribution to the community
- A deeper connection to, and knowledge of, AFL Multicultural programs
- Access to AFL Multicultural player ambassadors (subject to availability)
- Access to an exclusive multicultural community ambassador’s pack which includes a polo, footy, AFL Explained DVD and 5 tickets to an AFL game!
- Professional development programs including coaching/umpiring accreditation, conference invitations and much more, to improve your employability skills and credentials
- An opportunity to improve cross-cultural and communication skills
- Contribution to positive community health outcomes by assisting your community engage in sport and the wider society
- Help develop community programs by providing direction and ideas for the ongoing growth of AFL multicultural programs
- Official Certificate presented at a state-based Reward & Recognition function at the end of the eight months tenure
- A chance to be the State and National “Multicultural Community Ambassador of the Year” and receiving special prizes and accolades
The program will run for 8 months, from 1st March till 31st October.
- 1st December to 28th February: Registration period
- March: Announcement of the ambassadors, state-based training and induction/orientation session
- March to September: Participate and promote AFL multicultural program activities as per the position description
- July: Mid-season catch up and Multicultural Round planning
- August: Nominations open for Ambassador of the Year
- September: State and National Ambassador of the Year announced at state-based end of the year functions
- October: Program Evaluation and Conclusion
Registration for 2015 Multicultural Community Ambassadors has now closed. Thanks to all who've registered!
Please see expression of interest form below to become a Multicultural Community Ambassador in 2016.